There are millions of options if you want to create a website from very simple solutions to extremely complex for the most exigent websites.
We were looking with a solution that meets the following needs :
- Easy to setup and use
- Fast, secure and resource friendly
- Open source and free
- Full control on how our website should look like
- Extensions available
- Possibility to scale (starting with a few visitors per month to up to hundred of thousands or millions of visitors)
- Full control of the content (we want to own our data and migrate somewhere else if we need to)
- SEO friendly
- Save the data in database, not into files.
Some of the options
We have considered the main solutions such as
Wordpress and Joomla are becoming old and heavy, we wanted something light using new technologies and standards.
Wix and Weebly have a really good website builder but you cannot personalize well the template you choose, it is difficult to export somewhere else, it can become quite expensive. At the beginning it seems amazing but it can be very limited if you want to change anything on the template or add you own widgets and tools.
What we love about Bolt
- Full control on how the website should look like
- Easy to create and edit a template
- The content types are awesome. It allows to create your own structure with your own fields to edit and display it as you want (for instance : film (Title, producer, actors, rating, budget, year), book (Title, authors, editor, year), service (name, price, provider), ...)
- The online editor to edit the configuration files, and the template.
- The permission manager
Bolt is light en fast and works as expected, it's actually quite smart the way they have done it which allows the simplify the work for everyone, the designers, the developers, the writers.
Who can use Bolt
If you are a total beginner with setting up a website, it's probably challenging to set one up completely on your own. However, if someone with experience is around, it's going to be a pleasure for both of you. If you need a designer he will be amazed by the simplicity to personalize the website exactly the way you want.
Bolt is released under the MIT licence, it's free, open source and one of the most permissive licence around. Most of the templates and extensions are under the same licence.
Bolt fits our needs and this very website has been built with it.